Schlitz Hotel/Fair Oaks Hotel/Krogers/Weinschel’s
2922 – 2926 Atwood Ave.
1904 - Current
Originally constructed in 1904 as the Schlitz Hotel.
1916 – 1925, Thomas Bewick ran it as the Fair Oaks Hotel.
1930 – 1968 it was Weinschel's Department store.
The building served briefly as a hardware store and a Krogers Grocery store.
In 1973 the building became an electrical appliance store.
A livery was connected to the hotel, and people would park their horses and cutters there when
they went to the nearby St. Bernard's Church. The hotel also featured a billiard hall and an
ice cream parlor, which both became popular meeting places for area residents.