2317 Winnebago St. Built 1916, Two floors added in 1920
Demolished 2007 Art Deco
The French Battery Co. was named in honor of the Frenchman who developed its first battery.
Incorporated January 17, 1906 in Chicago, with James Ramsay, P.W. Strong
and Alfred Landau the organizers. The operation was soon after moved to Madison in a building on
the corner of Main and Blair streets, where the first Madison battery was made. In the mid 1930's
the French Battery Co. changed its name to "Ray-O-Vac," after the trade name of its batteries.