111 Monona Ave. Built 1911 Demolished 1957
The Orpheum was renamed the Garrick when the new State Street Orpheum was completed in 1926.
216 State St. Built 1926 National Register
Madison Landmark Art Deco Rapp & Rapp
The most intact and finest remaining example of the movie palace in Madison. One of the two grand
movie palaces built in downtown Madison during the heyday of motion picture entertainment.
Financed in part by dentist William Beecroft
as “Mr. Theater”.
The Orpheum Theatre originally seated 2,400 people. After renovations in the 1960s to add "The Stage Door" Theatre, only six feet of the original
stage was left, and 700 seats were lost, making the capacity 1700.
The Orpheum nearly burned down on December 19, 2004. It was the third attempted arson on the building.
Along with the Capitol Theater
street, it was the venue for big name orchestras and stage stars, in addition to first run movies.
Its French Renaissance interior made it one of the most beautiful public spaces in the city. The
limestone exterior was built in the very fashionable Art Deco style. The towering
"Orpheum" sign is a visual landmark in downtown Madison.
National Register of Historic Places
Relight the Marquee