Capitol Park Fence
Originally Capitol Park Was surrounded by a wooden fence that ran along the inside of the path around the park. A hitching rail for horses ran along the outside to keep the horses away from pedestrians.

The wooden fence was replaced by an iron fence with stone pillars, designed by Stephen Shipman, in 1873. Some of the pillars had small statues on top which were meant to represent the four seasons. The statues were less impressive than they seem in vintage photographs, made of cast zinc that was painted white, not stone sculptures. In 1899 the iron fence was removed to allow the widening of the streets.

Some parts from that old iron fence still exist:

A couple pillars still exist on the grounds of Mendota Mental Health.

A couple pillars still exist on the property of a rural home near Deforest.

One of the cast-iron maidens (an extra that was never used?) marks the graves of the McFarland family in the McFarland Cemetery

Part of the iron fence is now on the grounds of the of Governorís Residence.



http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=27133
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=52181
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=23533
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=38155
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=23220
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=23574
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=27725
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=52181
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=23216
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=23439
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=23184