Second Wisconsin Capitol (Madison's First)
Built 1837–48 Demolished 1857–63
- 1837 Construction begins on the Madison Capitol while the Legislature meets in Burlington.
- 1838 The Legislature arrives in Madison with the Capitol unfinished.
- 1848 Wisconsin becomes a state. The second Capitol is completed.
- Stone for the walls was brought in scows across Lake Mendota from McBride's Point to a wharf at
the foot of N. Hamilton St.
- Locals refer to the Capitol's odd-looking tin dome as "Doty's Washbowl"