Forest Hill Cemetery – Soldiers' Lot
Forest Hill Main Page         Forest Hill Civil War Page



Burials in the Soldiers’ Lot began in 1862. About 200 Civil War soldiers who died while training at Camp Randall or being cared for in Harvey Hospital are buried in what became a national cemetery in 1871. Because the original markers were made of wood, and the cemetery lost its records to a fire in the late 1800s, no one is certain how many are actually buried here or who rests beneath each stone. This soldiers’ lot is overseen by Wood National Cemetery.

A granite bench inscribed and dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic is situated at the front of the soldiers’ lot.

Individuals Buried in Soldiers' Lot:
Beardsley, E. E.
Carson, Alfred H.
Crawford, John N.
Duncan, William G.
Geer, Joel L.
Hochmuth, Sabastian
Kendall, Isaac G.
Marshall, William
Mathieson, Andrew
Oliver, Nicholas
Story, John W.
Taves, John
Tubbs, Edwin C.

** There are other Civil War veterans scattered throughout Forest Hill.

Orphans Memorial
In 1866 the Harvey Hospital was converted into a home for the children of Union soldiers whose parents were either killed or unable to care for them. For nine years the Soldiers’ Orphans Home cared for these children; during this time eight orphans died at the home. These orphans were buried here in the Soldiers’ Lot, and the Soldiers’ Orphans Monument was erected and dedicated on Decoration Day (now Memorial Day) in 1873. The tall marble obelisk is inscribed with the children’s names.

The city of Madison donated the 0.36-acre plot, located in Section 34, to the federal government in 1886, the last burial was in 1931. Civil War veterans constitute the majority of the interments; however, there are also Spanish-American War and World War I veterans buried here.

Unkown Soldiers Memorial from the Woman's Relief Corps:
The Woman’s Relief Corps, No. 37, erected a large boulder memorial dedicated to the memory of the unknown dead in 1891.
    TO THE UNKNOWN DEAD
                ––––––––
    WOMAN'S RELIEF CORPS
    NO. 37               1891


There are also 13 markers for unkowns: