Green Avenue (near Central Wisconsin Center) – 771 interred here
Everyone interred here was a patient at Mendota Hospital
or “Insane Asylum” as it was called in the early years. The original cemetery was next to the old hospital building, in 1871 87 bodies were exhumed and moved to this site.
Burials were primarily from 1860 to 1947, although one patient was laid to rest in 1964. It was a common practice in that era to bury patients on the grounds if they died in a mental hospital, and due to the negative stigma associated with mental illness, most were buried without tombstones to protect family confidentiality.
Mendota maintains a private record of each person buried at the site.