1103 Spaight St. – Block 180 Established in 1846, 246 Burial Plots
No Longer a Cemetery – Now Orton Park
Bodies were removed from the village cemetery and reburied at Forest Hill
starting in 1859. Burials continued at the village cemetery however in lots that had already
been sold. Eventually, all of the bodies were transferred, and the block became Orton Park in 1888.
January 3, 1857
The city buys Forest Hills for $10,000 in bonds, ending a long search for a new cemetery
to replace the east side burying ground that was unkept, open to wild animals, and quickly
filling due to several cholera outbreaks.
With Council approval but private funds, a contract is issued to clean the old Third Ward
cemetery grounds off Spaight street.