210 N. Carroll St. Built 1905-06 Demolished 1965
April 21, 1874
In his inaugural address, Mayor Pinney
urges the council
to establish and support a free public library, starting with the 3,500 volumes offered by the
Madison Institute, the private library that Mayor Keyes allowed to set up shop in the treasurer's
office in City Hall
eight years prior.
November 21, 1874
Council adopts ordinance establishing the Madison Free Library
May 31, 1875
City Hall ceremonies opening Madison Free Library
February 23, 1906
The Carnegie Building opens. Industrialist Andrew
Carnegie had donated millions of dollars to support the start-up of libraries in the early 1900s.
The current Central Library at 201 W. Mifflin St. opens
Proposed New Library at same location
Proposed New Library on West Washington Avenue
The bronze statue of a child about to plunge into the water at its feet now resides on the second
floor of the Central Branch. Donated to the library in 1916 by
Professor and Mrs. Moses S. Slaughter
the statue formerly resided in the garden along the Dayton Street side of the old public
library building on Carroll Street.