Orton Park

1103 Spaight St./Block 180     1887     Madison Landmark     National Register of Historic Places
Gazebo     1979     Stuart Gallaher

In 1848 Block 180 was designated as the village cemetery. It didn't take long to realize that it would be too small and in 1877 all of the burials that could be found were moved to Forest Hill.

In 1883 the site was made a city park, Madison’s first. Named after former mayor and supreme court justice Harlow Orton. In 1887 the park was officially opened and remained the city’s only public park until the turn of the century.

Orton Park, now a peaceful retreat, once a stormy center of controversy Capital Times March 28, 1966

Location of George Segal's “Gay Liberation” statue from 1986 to 1991.