1854 - 1969 214 Wisconsin Ave.
This was the first high school in Madison, and the only high school until
opened in 1922. In 1964
Wisconsin High School
on the UW campus closes and
merges with Central, which is renamed Central-University High School. 1969 school closes because
of declining enrollment as the downtown becomes dominated by business and the UW, and families
moved farther out.
Sketch of the Madison Women's Seminary or “Female Academy”. This is the first of three buildings
that would be Madison High/Central High. The school used it 1860-1873. This building was also the
site of the first classes for the University of Wisconsin from 1849 to 1851 when North Hall opened
and the UW had it's own space.
Second Building completed January 5, 1874.
(For a picture see
Wisconsin Historical Society collection)
Third Building Built 1906-08 Collegiate Gothic
The last building. School closed in 1969, the building would become home to Madison
Area Technical College until it was demolished. The only remnant of the original building is the
classical archway on Wisconsin Ave.