On March 1, 1838 school was first called to order in Madison. Isaac Palmer designated part
of his log house, on the southwest corner of King and E. Clymer (Doty) streets, to be the
first school in Madison.
Miss Louisa M. Brayton
served as the first teacher.
The next year a one story frame building on the north corner of Pinckney & Dayton opened.
By 1841 it was so crowded some students were taught in a tool shed on the capitol grounds.
On Dec 25, 1841 the county school commissioners made the entire township school district
No. 1 (attaching township 8 the following Feb.)
The town later created a Madison school district under it's control, and in 1845 paid
Augustus Bird $1,000 to build what they called the "Little Brick" on the southeast corner
of E. Washington & Butler Street. The "Brick" was cramped and overcrowded for generations.
The school board finally built a new Third Ward School on the site in 1887, which it renamed
Brayton School in 1904.
From the Madison Democrat May 4, 1904 - "Madison Public Schools Renamed"
First Ward - Washington
Second Ward - Abraham Lincoln
Third Ward - Louisa M. Brayton
Forth Ward - James D. Doty
Fifth Ward - Lyman C. Draper
New Sixth Ward - Marquette
Old Sixth Ward - Irving
Seventh - Increase A. Lapham
Northeast District - Hawthorne
First Private school in Madison, Mrs Sheldon’s school. Mifflin & Fairchild Streets started in
1882. Sold it 5 years later to Miss Lottie Richmond. 1905 lottie moved the school and it
became the Wisconsin Academy. The Academy later merged with Wisconsin high school.