New Irving School/James Russell Lowell Elementary School
401 Maple Ave. Built in 1916 Mediterranean Revival
Built on “Circus Hill”, the site of former circus grounds, this school originally had eight
classrooms as well as domestic science and manual arts rooms and a gymnasium/auditorium.
Known first as the New Irving School, its name was changed to James Russell Lowell School at the
request of area residents. In 1926 the school was expanded to meet ever increasing enrollment. The
two new wings added 11 classrooms and several special purpose rooms. During the 1930's the school
featured a nutrition room, a tuberculosis solarium, a full-time nurse and dental clinic.