Works Progress Administration (WPA)/the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Projects
Artist James Watrous painted the familiar murals that sprawl across 12 panels in the Paul Bunyan Room of the Memorial Union.
Much of Madison's original airport was built by WPA workers, including a massive and very sturdy stone hangar that remains in use as a storage building.
At the state Department of Natural Resources South Central Region headquarters building on Fish Hatchery Road, workers still store vehicles and equipment in two large stone garages that were built by WPA workers in 1939. Workers also did much labor on the fish hatchery for which the site is named and which is still in use.
Perhaps the most visible WPA structures still in use in the city are the rest rooms, shelters and fireplaces at Hoyt Park. The stone structures were built by Italian workmen. They came from an Old World background of stone masonry and craftsmanship. Even though money ran out before the work was done they continued to work to get the project finished out of pride.
CCC - A separate New Deal jobs program that focused on conservation projects. The CCC was operated and organized as part of the Department of War and ran from 1933 to 1942.
A contingent of CCC workers was housed in a camp built at the UW Arboretum and those workers helped Aldo Leopold and others collect plants for the restored prairies that would become so famous. At least one of the CCC buildings is still used by the Arboretum.