302 S. Mills St. Built 1855-1856 Madison Landmark National Register
Made of sandstone from what is now Hoyt Park
Porch is a newer addition from the turn of the century
The house was originally part of the fifty-six-acre estate of Seth Van Bergen which also included
all of what became the Greenbush Neighborhood
Dr. James Bowen purchased it in 1859.
Dr. Bowen, Madison's first homeopathic physician, lived in the house until 1881.
His daughter Susan Bowen Ramsey inherited the house, as did his grandson James Ramsey.
The Bowen family Donated land for St. Marys. hospital
and St. James church
Bowen Ct. named in honor of the Bowen family.