766 W. Washington Ave.
The Neighborhood House, an early settlement house in the Greenbush, opened in 1916. It was formed
to help immigrants adapt to living in the U.S. They held classes in health, housecleaning, history
and civics. Later a preschool was added.
Helen Dexter and Mary Saxton were the founders.
Gay Braxton was the center's first head resident worker staying 25 years. Mary Lee
Griggs was Braxtonís long time assistant.
The building was lost in urben development but group still exists as a community center .