211 N Carroll St. Built
History of MATC
Began in 1911, on S. Webster street, as the Madison Continuation School providing vocational education to 14- to 16-year-old dropouts but found that older adults were more interested in progressing by taking classes.
1921 moved into its own building, located next to Madison high school, and became known as the Madison Vocational School.
During the 1930s the college was renamed the Madison Vocational and Adult School.
After WWII increased opportunities in skilled trades led to the building of a second campus on Madisonís Commercial Avenue.
By the 1960s had become known as the Madison Vocational, Technical, and Adult Schools.
1970s District 4 of the Wisconsin Technical College System became known as Madison Area Technical College, and encompassed existing colleges in Fort Atkinson, Portage, Reedsburg and Watertown.
Truax Field broke ground in 1986. Classes began at the new site a year later.
This building had air quality problems for many years.