404 N. Carroll St.
404 N. Carroll St.

A two-story late Italianate building in fairly intact exterior condition. Built in 1878 for the Estate of John Lewis, probably as an investment because they soon sold it to a Mrs. Wilson. John Lewis had lived in an older house on the property and this was no doubt the beginning of families in Mansion Hill capitalizing on the growth of the city by splitting up a larger lot and building more than one house on it. The very similar house next-door at 410 was also built by the estate in 1878 and was sold shortly after construction.