420 N. Carroll St. Built 1870-71 Madison Landmark
Italianate Architect Unknown Cream brick
The Mears family lived here until sometime after 1907. Col Mears was an immigrant from New York Sate and came to Madison in 1852 and entered the dry
goods business. He was an army paymaster in the Civil War. The Mears’ daughter married J. W. Hobbins of 114 W. Gilman Street.