William & Anna Miller House

647 E. Dayton St.     Built ????, Moved 1908     Madison Landmark     National Register
Oldest known African-American-owned building remaining in Madison. Owned by the Miller family. William Miller came to Madison from Kentucky in 1901 to work as a messenger for Governor Robert La Follette. The Williams were early leaders for equal rights. They leased the house to borders until 1919 when they moved into it.

The building is in the heart of a small historic Black neighborhood dating back to 1898.