120 N. Blount St. & 649 E. Dayton St. Built ca. 1850; moved 1901 and 1912
These two buildings represent some of the last evidence of Madisonís first
The two-story commercial building was moved here in 1901 by African-American civic
leader, John Turner, to provide a meeting place for the Douglass Beneficial Society.
The house was moved here in 1912 to serve as living quarters for the pastor of the
nearby St. Paul A.M.E. Church. John W. Hill purchased the property in 1917 and operated
a grocery store here until around 1980.