16 N. Carroll St. Built 1914
Leonard Gay and his sons, real estate developers who built apartment and commercial buildings, constructed the nine-story Gay Building, now the
Churchill Building, in 1914-15. Designed by young architect James Law, who later was mayor of Madison
building was Madison's first skyscraper, nearly twice as tall as any other Madison building at that time except the Capitol.
Construction of the Gay Building and the Belmont Hotel
spurred prohibiting buildings taller than the base of the Capitol dome.