811 State St. Built 1870
For a picture see WHi-58151
from the Wisconsin Historical Society collection
The house was three stories with a double cream brick wall, three marble fireplaces, and silver door
knockers etched with John Sterling's name. Great oak trees shaded the spacious lawn, with apple and
hickory trees in the back yard. There was a small cottage and barn facing the house in back.
The Phi Kappa Psi (Psi Psiís?) bought the house in 1907, and in 1922 tore it down.