Madison's Third Lake Ridge Neighborhood
In 1857 Leonard Farewell was forced into bankruptcy because of a severe economic depression.
His mansion went vacant.
David R. Hyer built a red brick house and hotel
in 1854. 1855 purchased by Henry Jaquish. Remained in use as a hotel until a fire in 1874 which
destroyed a large frame rear wing. A new smaller rear wing was built. Entry framed by sidelights
and a glazed transom. The oldest urban hotel building to survive in Madison.
Stephen Shipman resided near the corner of Spaight
The first public school was erected in 1957. A stone building located on the southeast corner of
Brearly & Jenifer. Known as the Third Ward School at the time.
An annex, located across Brearly was built in 1877. The building was raised in 1904 for the
construction of the
Washington Irving School, later renamed Louis Harvey School
in honor of
Governor Harvey who drown during the Civil War while visiting
troops in Tennessee.
In 1894, the Sixth Ward School (later Marquette) was erected
on the 1200 block of Williamson Street, it was vacated in 1940 when the current
Marquette School was built. The Elks club built a building on the
site. (Later in 1954 Eagles Club?) Currently the site of now the location of the Willy Street Co-Op)
1862-63 Cordelia Harvey persuaded President Lincoln to
establish a U.S. Army hospital in the vacant Farwell Mansion.
After the Civil War Cordelia Harvey again persuaded President Lincoln to use the old Farwell
mansion for public use, this time for a Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home. By 1870 270 orphans resided there.
(8 died, buried at Forest hill)
1868 A school was constructed for the Soldiers Orphans home. This building later housed the
Norwegian Seminary and the Monona Academy, a private high school.
Beginning in the 1880s Madison became a manufacturing center for agricultural implements and
machine tools, and an important railroad center.
In 1894 the Congregationalists bought the old school building at Brearly @ Jenifer and remodeled
it for as the Sixth Ward Chapel. 1914 an addition was
erected in front of the former school, now the Wilmar Center.
The Lake City Bottling Works operated at 852 Spaight Street for many years before moving to
their Williamson Street location in 1906.
1887 Block 180 became Orton Park.
1903 MPPDA began the Yahara River project reclaiming marshland, creating a parkway along the
river, and constructing bridges.
Lougee (1850-1932) operator of hotels including the Park Hote and University Club.
Florence Court – Developed by H.C. Nichols, Bungalows – A nineteenth century ice house formerly
occupied this site.