Edgewood Academy/Governor Cadwallader C. Washburn House
Monroe Street at the east end of what is now the site of the Edgewood College campus.
John W. Ashmead began building the house but sold it to Samuel H. Marshall before it was completed. Mr. Marshall lived in the house until he sold it to Governor Washburn for $15,000 on September 17, 1873.

Washburn later bequeathed it to the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. It was the original Edgewood Academy, later destroyed by fire.

Cadwallader C. Washburn was a Union general who had led troops in the fight against Vicksburg.
The Washburn Observatory was a gift to the University of Wisconsin.