3706 Nakoma Rd. Built 1854 Madison Landmark National Register Greek Revival
Charles C. Morgan built the Old Spring Tavern in 1854 with brick made from clay found on site. Morgan, in partnership with James W. Gorham, chose
the site as a perfect stopping place on the old Madison-Monroe stagecoach road leading to southwest Wisconsin lead mining area. A large spring
behind the house was a major asset to the property because it provided water for traveling horses and oxen.
In 1860 Morgan sold the inn to Gorham. Gorham closed the inn after joining the Union cause in the Civil War. In 1895, he turned the building
into a private residence. The Gorham Family lived here until 1922