914 Regent St. Built Madison Landmark
On January 18, 1912, the club Lavoratod Sicilani Muto Socorso e Benificenza was organized by the
Italian community. The club began with 42 members. A women's auxiliary was organized on
February 22, 1934.
They began meeting in a wooden building at the rear of a store operated by Angelo Maisano at 821 Regent Street. The present clubhouse at 914 Regent Street was built in 1922. John G. Icke tools and other equipment to the club members who worked weekends on the construction of the building. With the exception of the steel framework erection, the entire clubhouse was built by volunteer labor of the membership.
Until 1948 the meetings of the society were conducted in Italian; thereafter, the English language was officially used since many of the younger members chose English in preference to their native tongue.
Over 40 of the club's members served in the Armed Forces during World War II.