Madison Architects - Alan Conover & Lew Porter
Conover & Porter Designs that still exist:
  • Machinery Row
  • Camp Randall Memorial Park
  • Agricultural Dean's House
  • Fire Station #4
  • Armory/Red Gym
  • Fred & Annie Brown House
  • Christian Dick Block
  • Hess and Schmitz Building
  • Capitol Heat & Power
  • McCarthy House
  • Brittingham Boathouse
  • Science Hall

    Some Designs that are gone:
  • 6th Ward/Marquette school on Williamson St.

  • Following an accomplished career in science, mathematics and engineering, Allan Darst Conover taught engineering and building construction at the University of Wisconsin in the 1880s. He became interested in architecture with the construction of Science Hall in 1884, with which he helped architect Henry Koch of Milwaukee. The following year, Conover started practicing architecture while he continued teaching, when he took on Lew Porter, a talented former student as a partner in an architecture firm. Together the firm designed scores of city, county, state and federal buildings, schools, banks, commercial buildings, churches and residences through 1899, when they dissolved their partnership. Their firm was a training ground for Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Claude and Alvin Small, among others, who became architects of some importance. Conover & Porter’s office was based in Madison, though they had offices in Ashland in 1887-1889, and for a short time in Baraboo during the early 1890s.

    Alan Conover Interred at Forest Hill Cemetery

    Lew Porter Interred at Forest Hill Cemetery