Halle Steensland
In 1905 Steensland donated a new bridge over the Yahara River in honor of his 50 years as a resident of Madison. Steensland was the first person to cross the new bridge, driving across in his buggy. John Olin was the second, on horseback.

A goatherd when young, he came to Madison in 1855 to work as a grocery clerk; his ability to speak German, Norwegian and English made him invaluable. He started a crockery and grocery business in 1859, and in 1871 was a founder of the Hekla Fire Insurance Company, serving as secretary-treasurer and later president. He also founded the Savings, Loan and Trust Company. In 1863 he purchased 175 acres in what is now Maple Bluff. His Maple Bluff house, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was later owned by the La Follettes. He was one of the organizers of the Bethel Lutheran Church, and was a member of the city council.

Steensland was vice consul in Wisconsin for Norway and Sweden for 33 years, and King Haakon of Norway made him a Knight First Class of the Royal Order of St. Olaf. Halle donated the library at St. Olaf’s College in Northfield, Minnesota. He was on the board of the MPPDA. His house at 315 North Carroll Street is a Madison landmark.

Interred at Forest Hill