Breese J. Stevens
Madison's 20th Mayor 1884
Lived: 1834 - Oct 28, 1903
He came to Madison in 1856
Involved with railroad, canal, and land-grant litigation, Curator of the Wisconsin Historical
Society and UW regent from 1891 to 1903
In 1893 he sold his 106 acre farm for $106,000. He had purchased this land in 1856 and is now
known as University Heights.
Emma Curtiss Fuller (1844-1870). Emma was a childhood acquaintance and died a week after the birth
of her only child.
Mary Elizabeth Farmer (1844-1925) Mary was active in the city's social and philanthropic activities.
She donated money to build the streetcar waiting house while a member of the Forest Hill Cemetery
Commission (Now the Cemetery Office).
In 1923 the city bought land from Mary and made
Breese Stevens Field
at 917 E. Mifflin Street.
Claude and Stark
designed the original grandstand structure in the Mediterranean Revival style.
Built from 1925 to 1926. The surrounding walls are constructed of sandstone from the former
Hoyt Park quarry. The walls and concrete bleachers were built in 1934, and the wooden press
box was built in 1939. A Madison Landmark. In its early uses, the field saw four high school
football games on a weekend: Wisconsin High, East High, Central High, and Edgewood High School.
During the 1930s, the field hosted exhibition baseball games, notably the Madison Blues, a
Jesse Owens raced a thoroughbred on the center track there. Jimmy Demetral wrestled there.
Alan Ameche from Kenosha once played a game there against Central High School.
The Stevens House