Life: Dec 15, 1815 – Dec 11, 1889
Interred in Forest Hill Cemetery
Moved to Madison in 1847
Atwood Avenue named in his honor
One of Madison’s first newspapermen. Founded the Wisconsin State Journal
Attwood began working as a compositor and assistant editor of the Express. In partnership with Royal Buck, he purchased the Express in 1848, changing the name to the Wisconsin Express. Buck and Atwood conducted the newspaper until 1852, when they merged it with the Wisconsin Statesman to form the short-lived Wisconsin Daily Palladium. That same year Atwood founded the Wisconsin State Journal. Sixteen years later, as its editor, he strongly supported the mayor - himself - who promoted factories as the best way to increase wealth and population in Madison.
Justice of the peace in 1849 and village trustee in 1854.
One of the leaders in the organization of the Republican Party in 1854.
Served in the state assembly (1861), was U.S. internal revenue assessor for the 2nd congressional district, appointed by President Lincoln (1862-1866), and 8th mayor of Madison (1868-1869). In 1870 he was elected to the U. S. House of Representatives to fill the unexpired term of B. F. Hopkins.
Served as treasurer of the State Agricultural Society from 1857 to 1870, director and president of the Madison Mutual Insurance Company, trustee of the State Hospital for the Insane from 1866 to 1882, and president of the Madison Gas Light and Coke Company.
Daughter Elizabeth married E. P. Vilas, son of Levi Vilas.
Daughter Mary was the driving force behind the formation of the Woman's club, organized in Atwood’s home at 214 Wisconsin Ave.