Simeon Mills
  • 1810 - Jun 1, 1895
  • Madison's 4th and 7th Village President 1851, 1854
  • Mills first Madison home was on the square at the corner of Monona Avenue & West Main Street.
  • Later he owned extensive lands on the northeast shore of Lake Monona; his magnificent mansion, Park Place still stands. He eventually sold it and moved back downtown because his wife Maria didn't like living so far from town.
  • Mills last home on Monona Avenue
  • Interred at Forest Hill Cemetery
  • Mills was one of the men who drafted the city charter.
  • Reached Madison on June 10, 1837, only hours after the workers who would build Madisonís first capitol building, and stayed the rest of his life
  • Mills was Madison's first entrepreneur. The day of his arrival he contracted with some of the workers to build him a store, then headed to Galena to acquire goods to fill it
  • Appointed the first justice of the peace in 1837, he was elected county commissioner in 1839 and later clerk of court
  • Mills introduced the bill that became the charter of the UW; he was a member of the first board of regents, purchasing the site of the university and supervising the erection of its first building, North Hall.
  • He was a trustee for the State Hospital for the Insane, a paymaster general during the Civil War, a founder of the Wisconsin Argus newspaper in 1844, and a director of the Madison & Beloit Railroad and the Madison & Portage Railroad.
  • He built a stone business block on King Street in 1855.