A marketing director for a prominent computer manufacturer was devising a new
advertising campaign for his company. While researching consumer response to
his product, he asked "Naval ships are commonly referred to as 'she' or 'her'.
What gender would you assign to your computer? Give four reasons to support
A large group of women reported that the computers should be referred to in the
masculine gender because:
- In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
- They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
- They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem.
- As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited a little
longer you could have had a better model.
The men, on the other hand, concluded that computers should be referred to in the
feminine gender because:
- No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
- The native language they use to communicate with other computers is
incomprehensible to everyone else.
- Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retrieval.
- As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your
paycheck on accessories for it.