Earliest Memories
I can remember throwing apples, that we picked up from our back yard, across the street at the kids that lived on the other side and they would throw them back. Those houses would be torn down, probably the late 60s, to make way for the East Madison Clinic.

I also remember one day standing at the side door of the house looking down at the driveway and asking my dad to kill those bugs before I would go outside. Dad said they were just ants and they wouldn't bother me.

Trips to the Stop-N-Go
Deb and I used to walk to the Stop-N-Go for mom. Mostly for Pepsi 8 packs of Bottles. For a little kid these were very heavy. The cardboard handle would hurt my hands so I remember changing hands and stopping to rest a lot. I seemed to lose the money and break bottles all too often. We would pass the workers from "Means" laundry service sitting on the sidewalk across the street all the time. We never paid much attention to them nor did they to us. When we were pretty young some religious wacko used to stop us regularly and have us pray and stuff. I remember having to say all the time that "I take Jesus into my heart". This made me feel very uncomfortable but I was too young at the time to tell him to just go away. He would also give us little pamphlets. I remember one time a woman stopped us afterwards asking what it was all about. She was concerned about what he was doing and saying. We told her it was no big deal he did it all the time.

Then there was the bars we would pass. The Ideal & Joey's Anchor Inn. I think I was a little scared passing these places, especially Joey's because it was a bikers bar. No one ever bothered us that I can remember. In the same group of shops there was an old fishing tackle store on the end by the parking lot. I would buy silly things like huge sinkers just because I thought they were cool. This was WAY back, I'm sure I wasn't there alone. East Side Bikes was also right there. Later this building would be Morgan's and then Wonder's Pub. Wonder's Pub was owned by Steve Weekly who grew up just across the tracks upstairs from Randy Weber. Steve and Randy were both older. Somehow Steve got the nickname Wonder.

At the Stop -N- Go we made friends with several of the workers. Very early on there was an older woman who took Deb and I to the circus. The registers were in the center of the store back then. The guy who was the manager at that time went on to work for the post office. At first the post office was in the building next door on Winnebago. It eventually moved to Second St. but still right next door to the Stop -N- Go, just on the other side. After that there were several guys, one guy with long brown hair, a very large black man, and Rich Hippie. They were all very nice. Rich and the guy with brown hair let us do work around the store and then bought us stuff in trade. I remember when Rich moved away he took me somewhere, I can't remember where only that we were riding in his VW Bug. When he dropped me off he shook my had and said goodbye. I went in the house and cried. Later
At the time I was hanging around with Bob Moore and Kent Heinz they built Eastwood Dr. I can remember a huge three story house was moved from Winnebago (Approx 1811). I was down there watching them load it on a trailer. We would go down to the construction area when the workers weren’t there and check things out. One time when we were throwing rocks one bounced up and hit me in the nose pretty hard. We also walked way in the main sewage pipe they were putting in. This was before they had even covered it in dirt.