Originally a cemetery
where the first non-native burials in Madison
took place this is where the physical layout of the campus of the University of Wisconsin began.
Established on paper in 1848, in 1849 157.5 acres of land were purchased, including the hill.
The Hill has been a big part of campus history;
a place for protests and demonstrations, traditions such as
May Fete & Maypole Dance
the Lincoln Statue
the infamous Pink Flamingo prank
was the first building built, completed in 1851.
, identical externally to North Hall, followed in
1855. Bascom Hall
(then called Main Hall) was
completed in 1858. Today North & South Halls look exactly as when they were built, Bascom Hall has
changed significantly. The UW's first master plan also included two more buildings identical to
North & South Hall that were never built.