Named for John Muir who likely spent time in the area.
He lived just a few feet away in North Hall while attending the University in 1863. In the 1910s
the area was known as “Story-Tellers Hill” because it served as the site for university summer
session “Folk Lore” meetings led by Charles E. Brown.
A concrete reservoir, just east of the scenic overlook, once served a nearby laboratory, but is
no longer in use.