University of Wisconsin Old Admin Building
831 State St.     1855-1965

Sandstone structure, which served for a time as the University Bursar's Office, was erected in 1855 by Isaac N. DeForest. DeForest subsequently founded the Dane County community that bears his name.

Purchased in 1870 by Henry E. Howe. Howe's daughter Carrie later married Lew F. Porter, a prominent Madison architect, and this was their residence until they sold it to the University in 1905-1906.

In 1906, Arthur Peabody designed an addition to the house to serve as administrative offices for the Regents.

The house was demolished in June, 1965, to make way for the construction of the Humanities Building.